Thursday, March 06, 2008

3D Anaglyph Rig


rig3, originally uploaded by Watts4.

I've been picking up on 3D photography. This is the rig I built to take the two master photos that I turn into a 3D anaglyph using free software. You'll need some anaglyph glasses to see some of the full, glorious results here.

There are lots of tips and tricks to the trade, and I've been scouring the web soaking up information. Here's a great source of info on 3D picture taking, including anaglyphs. Here's the free software I've been using mostly, Callipygan. (interesting side note: "Callipygan" is a Greek term meaning "Having Shapely Buttocks")

Frankly, after seeing some of these 3D pictures, normal "flattys" just seem so... well, flat. There are lots of limitations on distance, colors, background, ghosting, etc., but a great one is worth staring at for a long, long time.

If you need some 3D anaglyph glasses, shoot me a note or leave a comment and I'll send ya a pair. Thanks for looking.