Saturday, July 23, 2005

1st anniversary of the watts4u2 blog

We're approaching the 1st anniversary of the watts4u2 blog. (thunderous cheer) Through trial and error, and led only by instinct, I've managed to collect a year's worth of....well, watts4u2 stuff. I never had a mission statement for this blog, and in the beginning I predicted lots of Bono & U2 stuff (check...what a U2 year, Hello!), but even I did not know what to expect from this pop media experiment.
What has the watts4u2 blog become in its first year? I blatantly copy & paste pertinent copy from various articles I find on the web and usually have a snappy, pithy (thanks, Bill O') remark or two. I don't see the point in going into a 3 hour diatribe (thanks Rush), or even shedding new light on these links, but I do usually at least give my opinion on the subject, and I'm not a slave to either party.
"This is the side I'm on and this article helps explain why" might be a good motto, especially given the ego-centric nature of blogs, but I hope it is a bit more than that. In a sense, it's like me reading the paper and pointing out interesting articles. My Dad is an expert at doing this as my Mom can attest. Fortunately, you don't have to read my blog if you don't want to ;-)
It's difficult to balance the personal family photos with the talk of politics, religion & war floating about on here. I haven't posted any family pictures in a while, and I'm considering a seperate site for those. I have also done a few original columns, but less than I expected to do in the beginning. I'll try to do more of those in the coming year, but for now here's a brief description of the watts4u2 blog: Links to articles/stories that are not getting enough (or precise enough) coverage in the media, intertwined with numerous U2 posts, and some science, too. I've unfairly bashed Big Pharma, the Supreme Court, China and John Ashcroft among others. I've tried not to be your run of the mill Bush basher, though it has been difficult at times I must admit, and I have not always succeeded in holding my tongue (or in this case, holding my laptop? holding my blog?)
Oh yeah, the blog anniversary, that's what this is about. I also want to take this opportunity to thank my loyal reader, Rives, the only friend who's added to the comments. Thanks Rives! I encourage everyone else to comment, too, even if it's just to make fun of me .
Well,thanks for reading and look for even more of the same in year 2 at the watts4u2 blog!