Sunday, April 24, 2005

That's Watson, not Watts

dallasobserver.com | Music | World Leader Pretend | 2005-04-21
"World Leader Pretend

U2's self-invented legacy is a figment of Bono's imagination"

"As preposterous as it was that Zooropa won the Grammy for Best Alternative Album over Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream in 1993, I belted out a thunderous "Hell, yeah!" and rubbed it in every hater's face."

Maybe that's this guy's problem...he never was in the right spirit of being a U2 fan if he had this reaction to an award. Plus, that was the first time Bono said the F-word on live TV. I remember because my sister called me (I hadn't noticed!)

Just to clarify, this linked article is by Joe Watson, not me, Watts. Here is my comment:

Not that I disagree with everything, but dude, you just lost the faith. I've been re-listening to Atomic Bomb and it keeps getting better. If you can't appreciate the brilliance of the song Vertigo, then ...what am I to say? The fact is, that Apple ad allowed them to share that uber-song with the masses, something that's difficult to do these days (unless it's in a TV ad). So, they ran with it. Get over it. It's still about the music, and many of the songs on Atomic Bomb are top-tier U2 songs. I also appreciate that U2 and Bono in particular try to use their stardom for a worthwhile cause...it's part of who they are and why the music is what it is. Maybe you'd rather have them in the Tobloids OD'ing on something, or having sex with monkeys. That's what rock stars are supposed to do, right? Wake up, pal. It sounds like you never did get the meaning behind U2's songs, and a cynical-post-angst/Henry Rollins subconscious is vying for your very soul.

It's all right over here in U2 fan land. Sure, it's more crowded than ever, but that's because they're good........U2 can still be popular, and good at the same time. There, feel better?

(Don't know where that monkey thing came from, but it was so funny I had to leave it in there)