Monday, February 14, 2005

Vertigo Wins 3 Grammys

At the risk of being labeled a "so-called U2 fan",

I submit that U2's performance was not as good as it could have been. Bono stumbled through the introduction, and then stubled through the ending (the middle part and big "sing" were really good, though).
If anyone noticed, no standing ovation for U2 (though almost all of the other acts got them). I blame it on the song selection. "Sometimes" is a great tune, but it lost a lot of its punch by coming after Alicia Keyes who blew the roof off the place with her soaring vocals (that Bono can't match...sorry, I love him, but you have to admit that Alicia's vocals blew Bono's out of the water).
Why not play Vertigo, the song that just won 3 Grammys? It rocks and would have had the crowd popping, certainly that's what the Grammy people wanted U2 to play. I thought it was a downer in an above par Grammy show. It's a shame, 'cause they could have blown 'em all away with Vertigo or All Because of You (current US single).

Other Grammy notes:
Jimmy Page looks Asian these days
Jerry Lee Lewis sure gave the camera a glare....I thought these Lifetime Achievement folks really got the short end of the stick last night, just a glancing shot from the camera for these Legends?
Why the Southern Rock show? This music category has been in decline since the late 70's. It was funny when Green Day came on later with the lyrics about not wanting to be part of "redneck America". I love Southern Rock, but let's admit that since Skynyrd's plane crashed, the whole genre has stagnated. I once thought the Black Crowes could revive it, but I was wrong.
Melissa Ethridge was awesome. Up there bald-headed (she's undergoing therapy for breast cancer), she sang her ass off like Janis, and damn she has balls to get out there and do her thing like that. Two thumbs up for her!
To my taste, Green Day came off the best....they rocked with a politically charged song. Danger and fun? Yeah, I like that, dude. You rock, and I salute you!