Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Misunderestimated Again

Simple but Effective - Why you keep losing to this idiot. By William Saletan: "12:01 a.m. PT: Sigh. I really didn't want to have to write this."

I didn't want to have to read it. Those exit polls had me thinking Kerry looked like he was in good shape, so it's just more salt in the wound. Congrats Karl Rove, you've done PT Barnum proud.

Saletan thinks Bush won with "simplicity", and he's mostly right, but I think he pulled off the marketing trick called "branding". He repeats the same things and creates his brand: steadfast, strong, flag-draped, in a ray of light from God, he's like the Marlboro Man. Even for people who know that Marlboros are bad for your health, there's just something about that Marlboro Man that you trust, he seems to be the essence of "America". People don't want to vote against "America", and a lot of Bush support comes from this kind of view. I don't agree, in fact, I am more concerned for the future of our country than I've ever been.

Saletan thinks Dems should rally around Edwards in '08, but if McCain runs, nobody can beat him. And if the Dems couldn't beat this president, with his 4 year track record, I don't have much hope that the Democrats can ever get back in the White House. I'll take McCain over most any Democrat, I just wish we'd elected McCain last night or 4 years ago.

Almost everybody I voted for lost, including all of my endorsements. It's a sad day for me...