Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Jesse pays tribute to Bono



TIME.com: Bono -- May. 08, 2006 -- Page 1: "After so many years in Washington, I had met enough people to quickly figure out who is genuine and who is there for show. I knew as soon as I met Bono that he was genuine. He had his facts in hand and didn't have any agenda other than doing all he could to help people in desperate need.

Along with Franklin Graham, Bono, 45, helped me understand the scope of the tragedy in Africa, especially the pain it is bringing to infants and children and their families. Once I understood, I made both men a promise that I would do all I could to help."

For more on this odd couple, see my webite about Bono and Jesse Helms

Also, if you can tolerate RealPlayer, here's a link to a great NPR story a few years back, where you can hear Helms talk in his admirable southern drawl.