Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Inducting U2

In response to a contest @ @U2.com, I've written a speech for U2's induction to the rock'n'roll hall of fame. I wrote it out pretty quickly and I'm sure I lifted some lines from article I've read over the years, but here goes:

"A random bang & clatter, a spark, a fire was lit, and so U2 were born. U2 descended upon the world with bells and big ideas, new sounds and a higher calling. U2 seemed to come not from another time, but from another dimension. Not punk, not new wave, certainly not dance music, it’s always been hard to pigeon-hole U2. Sure, some tried to pin “Christian Rock” on them, but a few public drunken stupors fixed that. (A-hem.)
The colors of U2, the many different hues, contrasts and brightness levels have been revealed to us over the past 25 years. They made pop hits out of “Bloody Sunday”, “Pride” and a gospel hymn, turned back to learn the blues, and then launched their music revolution of the 90’s with “Achtung, Baby!” You could even dance to some U2 in the 90’s. 20 years into their career, they release “Beautiful Day”, maybe their best song yet, a song that captures many of the colors and hues of U2.
If U2 is a painter, their pallet is enormous. (Look directly at Adam and say, “I said PAL-LET” a-hem) .
But they weren’t done. They aren’t done. Instead of receiving lifetime achievement awards at the Grammys this year, U2 are still collecting new ones, for things like “best song”. That’s one reason I feel a little weird inducting U2 into the Hall of Fame…these guys are still going strong, and in fact, I think their best work may still lie ahead. I hope so.
That’s why rather than embarrassing them with unending praise, I’d like to challenge U2: Make your best album yet, in fact, make 5 of them in a row. I can’t wait to hear it.
I issue this challenge in part because the music has always come first for U2. In the studio and live, the music… the songs are the reward for them, and for us, the fans of U2. Thanks U2, for all the rewards.
So ladies and gentlemen, please get up off your knees and raise your fly glasses to toast the only band that matters, the supreme stars of our time, the unending champions of freedom and humanity in the world today, then prophets who rock our planet: U2!!!"