Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Car Lover Loves the W124

Hoopty Rides: 1987 Mercedes 300TD:

"At high speed, the Mercedes W124's hunkers down and holds the road like no other car. The driver feels absolutely connected, aware and uncommonly safe. It is a car for individuals that enjoy driving and don't want to be divorced from the action. It is a car of respect. I do not feel abused and cheated as I do in most modern cars.

The W124 represent an absolute end of a marquee. Mercedes Benz has sold its soul as they tried to be more like BMW and Lexus. They lost the uniquely Mercedes feel of absolute integrity as they tried to build a light and nimble car like the BMW."

I love my '89 300CE, it's a W124 also, and the coupe looks much better than the wagon. Plus my gasser is faster than the diesel. An old Mercedes is a good thing these days....