Tuesday, November 23, 2004

First Bomb Review by Watts

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter, and I get that line in Miracle Drug, but it's just another of Bono's many twisted cliches that sometimes make me cringe. This album seems particularly loaded with them...
I'm a fan since Spring of '83, bought every album and CD on the day of release, so I couldn't help but download it as soon as I found it. It's the first time to listen without a CD booklet (or album cover!), but I think that helps me concentrate on the music more. In any case, I've listened to it 5-6 times and it is a good album, very much in the "All That"/"Electrical Storm" mode as opposed to the garage band "Vertigo" sound.
I like the hard-rocking U2, I just think they haven't mined this part of their sound as much as other parts (slow, driving, anthemic, bolero), so "Vertigo" really hit the spot for me. The rest of the album is still growing on me..."All Because of You" is rockin' and Bono gives a great Joan Jett-like "Yeeeeeah!!!" right before the guitar solo. Sweet! "Love and Peace or Else" is fantastic. There are great parts in just about every song, but there are also many cringe moments, times when I think "this sounds like a new Sting record". That is not good. But just when I think it sounds like Sting, or even Abba, the Edge sails in with some classic, unique guitar work and makes me happy again. Bono has many strong moments, although the new lyrics are more direct that I prefer, and other lyric ideas are all too familiar to U2 fanatics. It may yet be a classic, it needs more time to cook in my head, and that's a good thing.
The good: Many (3-4) top tier U2 songs, brilliant guitar, bass & drums, Bono's vocals soar at times, Edge-driven guitar parts
The bad: At times Bono is preachy and too full of himself (who...Bono? ;-), Not the rock album I've always wanted, your Mom will like many of these songs
I know you didn't want to hear from fans who prefer U2 in full rock mode, but I would prefer to hear U2 music less slickly produced, guitar bass & drums, ya know? I don't think U2 need all the bells & whistles (& strings & synth. etc.), I'd prefer a more raw sound (hard rockin' or not). But I've been saying that since Unforgettable Fire, so take that for what it's worth. Many tracks have a slightly more raw sound than anything in a long time...."Vertigo" rocks, I love it!! The rest of the album is deeper and will take time to grow. Right now I like it, still to early to place among my favorites but I imagine it will end up in my Top 5 U2 albums. That said, 4 years is too long guys...