Tuesday, November 23, 2004

blog:How to Dismantle an Album Review

U2004

Let me begin by admitting that I have lost any ability to hear U2 music with an open mind. I lost perspective from the "outside world" as U2 have been my favorite band for over 20 years. The internet has only made my U2 fascination deeper. That said, as a "big fan", I have expectations for what I would like to hear from U2, and through the years they have disarmed me many a time with sounds and songs I didn't expect. That's part of the appeal.
On this new album, as opposed to the 90's records, U2 sound like they are trying to get to the core of their sound. Tired of running from the old U2, this album marks the second step of U2 reclaiming their heritage. All That You Can't Leave Behind was the start, and the new album has more "body", more rockin' out and yes, more cringe-worthy Bono lyrics.
"All That" made me cry the first time I heard it (In a Little While), Atomic Bomb did not, so at first glance "All That" seemed superior. But that album wore a bit thin over time. I think HTDAAB may be more of a grower than "All That", and it has more full-on rockers. These two albums do sound like a set together. Part 3 surely awaits, hopefully sooner than later!
After listening to HTDAAB for a couple of weeks, it has really grown on me and it's certainly one of their best albums. Only time will tell, but I am sure that many songs on here are classics, and the rockin' nature of these songs is grounds for celebration in my part of the U2 fan-camp. Here's a song-by-song review:

Vertigo: Already reviewed on this site, a fantastic rocker, the "iPod song"? Yeah, well, at least it rocks!
Miracle Drug: Gets better with each listen, hopefully a single if just to get the ending guitar parts on the air. Bono really wants to get rid of his "romantic love" on this album, and listen for Edge singing a verse in the middle of the song...I like the talk of reason, science and heart repeated on other tracks as well...

Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own: Not your average tune, Bono goes from head in hands to arms wide open when he asks "Can you hear me when I sing?"

Love and Peace or Else-One of my very favorites, this song is like Depeche Mode meets Zeppelin, U2 does break new ground with this one, in a heavy zone that appeals to my inner rocker.

City of Blinding Lights- I have a love/hate relationship with this song. One of two songs on here that really have sub-par lyrics. The music in the intro and chorus is great but the verses are not the kind of music that attracts me to U2.

All Because of You- The Vertigo-like rocker is garage-band rock at its finest. Looks like the next single. Ahhhh, give me more like this!

A Man and A Woman- This one's for the ladies. Most out of place tune on here, it's really a jazz tune, well-done by U2, but would be better covered by Sade. Some questionable lyrics, but really a good tune if out of place here.

Crumbs From Your Table- Another great tune, classic Edge riff, sounds like it came from part of "Walk On", but hey, that's a good place to find a tune like this one.
One Step Closer- Harkens back to "Running to Stand Still" vibe, not one of the best songs on here, but fits the album well.

Original of the Species- OK track, some bad lyrics here, this and City of Blinding Lights seem like they developed down the wrong road.

Yahweh- Great Edge-guitar work, Bono as you expect him, calling on God. Take this heart..

It will take months to fully digest, and that's a good thing. It has the potential to be one of their top 5 records, and put U2 firmly in place as the Greatest Band on Earth, once again. The record will appeal to a wide audience, from 13 year olds to grandmothers. U2 aimed high and you can tell. I think they did try to make a mass appeal record, and this is it, a future classic. Not everyone will like every part, but overall it is a great record though not perfect by any means. Standouts for me are Vertigo, Love and Peace or Else and All Because of You (the rockers), second-tier are Miracle Drug, Crumbs From Your Table and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.
Overproduced? In my opinion, yes, but that's been the case for years and the live versions are usually stripped down a bit, and that's where these songs will really come to life. City of Blinding Lights will even be good live.

Great effort, thanks for the rockers and record a new one, the sooner the better!

BlogMail