Monday, March 07, 2011

5 Pack: The "5" Royales

My recent re-fascination with all things Steve Cropper led me to The "5" Royales from Winston-Salem.  What a gold mine of music these guys were!  Led by guitarist/songwriter Lowman Pauling, The "5" Royales started as a gospel harmony group in the 40's, had piano-based do-wop hits in the early 50's, and then revolutionized themselves with electric guitar on some of the greatest songs of the 50's.  They span the bridge from gospel to soul, releasing over 100 songs in a 30 year career.  I'm going to highlight a few of my favorites for ya from throughout their career: 

A 5 pack of the "5" Royales for you.


Item icon The 5 Royales - Just As I Am.mp3


Item icon The 5 Royales - Put Something in It (With All Your Heart).mp3


Item icon The 5 Royales - Say It.mp3


Item icon The 5 Royales - When I Get Like This.mp3


Item icon The Royal Sons Quintet - So God Can Use Me.mp3 



If you like what you hear, let me know.  "Say It" is the rocker, "When I Get Like This", the ballad.  "So God Can Use Me" is the oldest, from the 40's.  Many of their songs are available at Amazon.com...